For anyone interested I’ll share the modifications I’ve made to my printer. I have to admit that all the ideas are from here or “Thingiverse” modified to suit my needs.
- Replaced the standard lead screw with an 8MM trapezoidal lead screw with the appropriate brass drive nut.
- Replaced the Z Axis motor mount with one that was a bit more substantial with 4 mounting screws.
- Incorporated a micrometer to make the adjustment of extruder height easier.
- Replaced the home switch with one that was more positive and had less slop in it.
- Replaced the solid coupler with a flexible coupler.
I designed it so I could use the original upper bearing mount but left the lead screw long to accommodate a future modification to add a positive drive to the other side of the Z Axis carriage.
Now I have to research how to modify the firmware to accommodate the new lead screw pitch.I 'm sure I can find the answer here but if anyone wants to take pity on me and give me the answer as well as how to change the firmware it would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.