I can now confirm that using pin 53 (MCU pin 19) labeled SS on the K8200 main board is working in conjunction with VM8201. At first I only got everything but the encoder wheel working, but that turned out being due to a cold solder joint, easily fixed.
Due to time constraints, I ended up doing the ugliest of hacks to get this tested:
I basically just soldered a new set of pins on the back side of the main board, to which I currently have connected 5V, GND and signal for the auto leveling servo. When I get time, I’ll probably make something more proper, like a pass through board for the cable connector with a standard servo connector.
Anyways, bottom line: success!