Howdy, all. I just put together my K8400 from Reichelt and the 3D print gods must have been smiling on me because it started working with very few growing pains (just the sacrifice of a virgin stepper motor driver). After adjusting some print settings according to what I’ve seen around the forum, I printed my baseline test, a tiny part for a costume I’m making and which I’ve had a deuce of a time getting printed on what’s available in local shops (Bucharest, Romania, don’t ask).
From left: original Formlabs Form1. This was the second time I sent it to be printed. The first time they just told me “it wouldn’t print” because I wanted the 25-micron Z-resolution it was supposed to provide.
Next: a “resin printer”. This shop was so paranoid that they refused to tell me what model they had! But I’m fairly sure it was a Stratasys Objet of some kind, with a 100-micron Z resolution. I’ve done subsequent work on this piece, filling and sanding it mostly at the tip. But as a consequence, the ridged texture at the base got mostly filled in and you can still see remnants of the Z-layer stepping.
Third: Vertex K8400 with mostly standard 100-micron settings. You can see how the layers are similar in size to the 100-micron Objet print to its left.
Fourth: Vertex K8400 with a 50-micron setting I’m still trialing and erroring with. But this proves it’s possible!
I’ve also gotten some promising results using a heat gun on PLA, which can make a smooth finish very similar to acetone on ABS. I think I’ll need a nozzle for the heat gun to focus the stream a bit more. In short; I’m very pleased with the price-performance ratio of the K8400, and look forward to pushing some envelopes with it!