Printing like paradise


#1

After removing the brass bearings and changed them to steel bearings my Delta is printing like an angel! No more diving into the glassbed and less noisy.
Here are the instructions, I followed to change bearings:

Short movie: http://uffepaula.st/bilder/MyVertexDelta.wmv

make_k8800


#2

I am happy to hear this worked for you, and thank you for sharing your build.

For me, the proof of this upgrade is that (when the printer is turned off) I can move any two of the carriages by hand and the third axis will follow freely. With the original brass bushings installed, when moving any two carriages, the third axis would stay put.


#3

@Dr_Vegetable How much infill did you use for the sliders? And what layer height did you use?


#4

The printer settings should not be too critical for this print. I used my default slicer settings, which IIRC has a 30% infill and a .2mm layer height. You should not need any support material.

I used PLA as my print material.


#5

Ok, great.
Next question…
Because you own the source, can you modify the slide a little bit so the drylin bearing RJ4JP-01 will fit?
The circlips from your model are to thick, so they won’t snap in (w/o milling)…


#6

Fixed it myself by using OpenSCAD and the CAD files from igus.


#7

Hi,

DrVegetable owns the source: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2953397


#8

The original OpenSCAD source file is a bit of a mess, so I am hesitant to share it without some cleanup and documentation. Please bear with me.

That said, I shared the original design with the hope and intent that people would use it, and where possible, improve it. So my Thingiverse files are there for anyone to use, freely.

@SusisStrolch I am glad you were able to modify the STL files to remove the ridge. Please feel free to share the remixed file on Thingiverse if you are so inclined.

I would also be very interested to hear about your experience using the Drylin bushings. I haven’t used these before, but would expect these to have more friction than the steel bearings. How do they perform compared to the stock brass bushings?


#9

I‘m Really happy with the Drylin. Very silent, very light - which is a real benefit for the accelerated mass of the Deltas kinematik…
I run into Problems with the current Design. Because of the zip ties the slides were not running as smooth as I wanted- maybe the bearings where Not parallel anymore. So I fixed the bearings with 2component glue inside the sledge. I‘m thinking about adding a top and bottom brim and extending the sides by 1-2mm to simply Snape in the bearings w/o zip or glue.
But first I have to reassemble the Delta before enhancing and sharing the STL. The OpenSCAD will be bruteforce :crazy_face:


#10

I designed the part with slots for zip-ties, but I did not install them on my printer. The steel bearings snap into the carriage securely enough without them. You should be able to get the same thing to work with the DryLin version.

Reducing the mass of the moving parts is a worthy goal.


#11

w/o the ridge they don’t snap - there’s simply missing 1mm on outer bound…
Therefore the idea about top/bottom brim and omitting the ridges. So both bearings should snap and fit.
Btw… just mounted the cartridges. They’re going so easy, nearly no force needed to push them down.


#12

I cleaned up the OpenSCAD source file and published it to Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/download:5724561

Please let me know if you have any questions about the design.

EDIT: I wonder if it would be feasible to incorporate printable bushings directly into this part? (ie: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1871890 )


#13

I also use them with the drylin bushings. Works prefect!!! With the LM10UUs it works also well but very noisy. I use copper wire (0.6mm diameter) to fix the bushings.


#14

Thanks for the Source - I will integrale my Ideals during the week.
I believe the ‚inlined‘ brushings made from PLA won‘t have the self-lubricating feature.
Printed ~500m without any oil or grease with the igus parts…


#15

After reassembling I tried the SpeedTest.
My Z-Belt slipped twice when doing the Z-jump with 1083mm/s.
Otherwise no problems.


#16

@SusisStrolch did you create that gcode file? Did you set the max feed rate with M203 before?
500mm/s is the MaxFeedRate defined in Configuration.h


#17

Dr.
As soon as I get the bearings I think I will make this modification to my printer.
Thanks.


#18

No, the gcode is from Marlin repo - found the reference in reprap forum
I didn’t recompile and simply used the default settings from EEPROM.
The boot sequence shows - as you mentioned - 500.0 units/sec for each axis.
Interestingly enough, the last test (500mm/s) doesn’t show any slipping, whereby the fast Z-move does.
The slip seems to occur on Z-pylon, so I assume insufficient tension.
Have to check again end of the week (currently on customer site)…


#19

@SusisStrolch Thanks for the answer. An interesting thread. :smiley:


#20

Here’s a minimalistic analysis of this Speedtest:
https://github.com/susisstrolch/Vertex-Delta-Mods/blob/master/Speedtest/README.txt