Printing like paradise

I designed the part with slots for zip-ties, but I did not install them on my printer. The steel bearings snap into the carriage securely enough without them. You should be able to get the same thing to work with the DryLin version.

Reducing the mass of the moving parts is a worthy goal.

w/o the ridge they don’t snap - there’s simply missing 1mm on outer bound…
Therefore the idea about top/bottom brim and omitting the ridges. So both bearings should snap and fit.
Btw… just mounted the cartridges. They’re going so easy, nearly no force needed to push them down.

I cleaned up the OpenSCAD source file and published it to Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/download:5724561

Please let me know if you have any questions about the design.

EDIT: I wonder if it would be feasible to incorporate printable bushings directly into this part? (ie: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1871890 )

1 Like

I also use them with the drylin bushings. Works prefect!!! With the LM10UUs it works also well but very noisy. I use copper wire (0.6mm diameter) to fix the bushings.

Thanks for the Source - I will integrale my Ideals during the week.
I believe the ‚inlined‘ brushings made from PLA won‘t have the self-lubricating feature.
Printed ~500m without any oil or grease with the igus parts…

After reassembling I tried the SpeedTest.
My Z-Belt slipped twice when doing the Z-jump with 1083mm/s.
Otherwise no problems.

@SusisStrolch did you create that gcode file? Did you set the max feed rate with M203 before?
500mm/s is the MaxFeedRate defined in Configuration.h

Dr.
As soon as I get the bearings I think I will make this modification to my printer.
Thanks.

No, the gcode is from Marlin repo - found the reference in reprap forum
I didn’t recompile and simply used the default settings from EEPROM.
The boot sequence shows - as you mentioned - 500.0 units/sec for each axis.
Interestingly enough, the last test (500mm/s) doesn’t show any slipping, whereby the fast Z-move does.
The slip seems to occur on Z-pylon, so I assume insufficient tension.
Have to check again end of the week (currently on customer site)…

1 Like

@SusisStrolch Thanks for the answer. An interesting thread. :smiley:

Here’s a minimalistic analysis of this Speedtest:
https://github.com/susisstrolch/Vertex-Delta-Mods/blob/master/Speedtest/README.txt

1 Like

I threw together a design with incorporated, printable bushings. I have not tried this out yet, nor even printed it, but I’ll share it in case some brave soul wants to try it out.

I think these would need some light lubrication, maybe a bit of mineral oil.

https://www.thingiverse.com/download:5731696

UPDATE: This part is a WIP and has a couple known flaws:
1.) The clearance on the bushings is too small, so they will need to be enlarged with a drill.
2.) The slots for the captive nuts is the wrong internal shape, giving them too much wiggle room.
3.) The front lower corners of the carriage are a bit thin, and so the structure is not as rigid as it could be.

In that thread you (@SusisStrolch) linked they discuss about Repetier firmware vs Marlin. I guess Marlin was the 2nd winner there and showed strange movements with that speed test but the segments_per_second were 200 while in K8800 this is 60.

Is there some one here who wants to test Repetier firmware on K8800? I guess its a lot of work.

Can higher segments_per_second values improve the print quality or just cause more jerky movements?

Just tried to get in my ideas to the VS (carriage) from @Dr_Vegetable.
Changes:

• endstop plugged in from top of carriage, so no need to disassemble/assemble the whole printer when trying to play with endstop
  • tried to add “simply plug” feature for LM10UU, RJ4JP and RJUM1 bearings, Simply selectable via “bearing_type=x” in .scad source
  • added top/bottom brim and notches to plug-in the bearing into VS
  • small (trials) to optimize the model
  • three different endstop actuators (5,10,15mm)
  • Proposed resolution: 0.1mm layer height

.stl and .scad available from github

'cause I’m still at customer w/o access to my Vertex I couldn’t check the result.

1 Like

Not really: https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v100/

You mean not really a lot of work or not want to test?

I mean not really a lot of work

@SusisStrolch there is a lot to find in your repository! :+1: Are you still optimizing or is there a final version of the vertical sled for RJ4JP bushings with or without zip ties to find?

The repo holds my latest iteration of vertical slider.
Unfortunatelly I didn’t find the time during WE to print it.
I found some issues with the previous iteration

• you MUST use zip-ties, otherwise the print head is too spongy
  • the nut hole catch was too tight
  • the bold hole through was too short, so the bold pressed against the bearing
    Here are the auto calibrate results after patching (drilling holes for zip, adding washers for the magnetic cups) my current sliders:
    Calibration OK rolling back.
    .Height:317.44 Ex:+0.00 Ey:-0.03 Ez:-0.05 Radius:107.80
    . Tx:-0.23 Ty:+0.13 Tz:+0.10

The latest iteration should work fine - simply test it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will! Probably today evening.
So
K8800-Vertical_Slider/K8800-VerticalSlider.stl
and
Velleman_K8800_Delta_LM10UU_Linear_Bearing_Upgrade/v2/VS-LM10UU-endstop.stl
are the files I need to print, right?

Thank you for the design!